Equinology and Caninology
Equinology® and Caninology® celebrate over 25 years of providing quality education in a small class environment. We set the standards early on and continue to raise the bar for education excellence!
Students have access to an All-Star faculty to help produce the leaders in this ever-challenging field. Veterinarians and specialists who are household names from around the world teach our many courses. Where else can you find Dr. Barb Crabbe, Dr. Nicole Rombach, Dr. Carrie Schlachter, Dr. Mila Speciani, Ken Bains, Dr. Hilary Clayton, Ruth Mitchell Golladay, PT, Dr. Kellon, and Debranne Pattillo MEEBW? Our instructors keep up with the rapidly changing information in the equine and canine health industry to make sure our students evolve and stay current in this wonderful field.
If you are looking at this site, you have likely been reviewing various programs to see which one suits you best. Ask your veterinarian who they would recommend! Equinology will be at the top of the list. Why? Because we train our graduates to work as team players in the paraprofessional world. We stress recognizing red flags and situations when the animal needs veterinary intervention before bodywork sessions. Our course participants are required to demonstrate their learned skill sets and understand of protocols, before receiving their certification. We require case studies and a practical examination to pass our program, before offering a qualification. We do not issue certificates of achievement (qualifications) via distance study or online study: a significant portion of the course must be attended onsite to receive personal supervision and training for qualification.
If you are already working in the animal healthcare field and are looking for continuing education, be this one course of interest, or a new qualification, you have come to the right place! You do not need to be one of our program graduates to attend these continuing education courses!
If you are an owner, competitor, weekend equine or canine warrior, or simply a person who loves their animals and wants to do more for them, we have courses that will suit you too.
We have several distinctions and requirements for our course attendees. Onsite courses are classes where the participant attends the class at a specific course location. Our Licensed Professional courses are offered to professionals such as veterinarians, chiropractors, osteopaths, advanced animal bodyworkers and therapists, physical therapists, vet technicians/nurses, assistant physical therapists, as well as veterinary students in their final years. Requirements do vary by course so please read those carefully. For full criteria details and application, please click here.
We also offer Distance Study Courses on different topics including equine nutrition, equine neurology and muscle disorders, and courses that prepare the student for onsite courses.
Our general interest course offerings for Owners, Trainers, and Equine and Canine Workers complete the program – we offer something for everyone!
If you are looking for our non-USA independently licensed companies (sister companies), please visit https://www.equinologyinstitute.com/sister-companies/
The Equinology Approach
The Equinology® Approach is the cornerstone of our school! It was developed by Debranne Pattillo, MEEBW, and founder of Equinology Inc. and co-founder of the International Equine Body Worker Association and author of Anatomy of Equine Bodywork; The Equinology® Approach. Debranne has used this approach successfully for her own client base for over 30 years, and has shared it with thousands of students, many of them already equine professionals all over the world.
This unique hands-on system addresses the entire body, implementing specific manual palpation methods to assess soft tissue and symmetry of muscle and structure, and utilizing detailed static and dynamic evaluations. Different bodywork techniques, including sports massage, soft-tissue mobilization, stretching, range of motion and positioning exercises, muscle activation techniques and focal point work (stress and trigger points) are combined to provide optimal support for horses working in every discipline. The Equinology® Approach stands out because it is comprehensively and continually anatomically referenced, as part of a team approach. The Equinolgy Approach reflects Debranne’s passion for academic precision in exploring equine musculoskeletal anatomy, and continues to evolve from her extensive experience and ongoing learning from her human and equine colleagues and mentors.
We offer the Equinology® Equine Body Worker Certification (EEBW) Course and the Caninology® Canine Body Worker Certification (CCBW) Course to those who are looking for a serious, respected, and well-earned qualification and are willing to put in the hard work!
Why Choose Us?
Let’s face it: there are many schools that offer equine massage programs. What makes our school stand out? Here are a few reasons we think you should consider Equinology, Inc. ®, and Caninology ®:
- Many of our instructors are published in peer-reviewed scientific journals
- Our instructors are also authors and curricula creators
- The majority of our instructors hold doctorates and have private practices in the industry
- Our instructors are dynamic, energetic, reliable, and highly qualified. Review the faculty and lecturers on the website!
- Every course is well presented with the newest information and plenty of practical experience, in small group settings
- You can take one course for personal interest, choose a course for continuing education, or follow our full certification program.
- Equinology, Inc. ® is approved by the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork (NCBTMB) as a continuing education Approved Provider.
- Equinology’s courses are approved and recognized by the International Equine Body Worker Association (IEBWA), the UK McTimoney Chiropractic Association, and the Society of Osteopaths in Animal Practice.
- We are one of the very few educational institutes that take the responsibility of offering you more than a handful of courses!
ASK QUESTIONS WHEN CONSIDERING AN EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTE
Research your prospective school! Different students have different needs. However, there are some questions that you need to ask to ensure that your learning needs will be met, in a safe, comfortable study environment.
- How much time is allowed for actual practical work during the courses?
- Does the institute carry insurance? Some schools have dropped insurance coverage due to an enormous increase in policies.
- What is the ratio of horses/dogs to people?
- How many students are in the class?
- Are continuing education courses offered?
- Is the educational institute recognized or affiliated with any other institute or umbrella organization?
- Is anyone available after the course to ask questions?
- Is the classroom comfortable?
- Are any instructors contributors to research projects, or published veterinary peer- review articles?
- Our onsite courses have small class sizes in quality facilities for your comfort and to ensure optimal supervision.
- Our Equine Body Work Techniques courses have the best manuals to support and enhance your learning.
- Students learn through different media. We deliver the course curriculum in written form, through lectures, practical portions in on-site courses, specimens, Power Point presentations and plenty of discussions to ensure that we address YOUR needs.
- We are fully insured!